Home * Patterns * Tutorials * Made It * Our Story

Sunday, March 18, 2012

For The Love Of Solids - Finished & Sent! :)

My items for this swap are well on their way to their new home! It is always sweet sorrow sending out packages. But worth it! :)


DSC_0319


My project for this was the longest in the making, but boy am I glad that I started it when I did. I definitely hit a "star burnout", but with nice break in the middle I recovered and even though I still had a lot of stars to make to finish it up, I would still love to make more. :) These wonky stars are some of my favorite blocks to make. :)


DSC_0324


I made a wall hanging for my partner, in her requested colors. For some reason I was really questioning myself while making this. Even until right before I put the binding on it, I wasn't sure if I should scrap it and start over with something else. But when all was said and done I decided I was really happy about it and sent it off. I really do hope she likes it! If not I'd be happy to make up my other idea that I had for her. Sometimes it's so hard making something for someone else! Especially someone you don't know at all. :) But it's worth it! I always push myself a lot harder making something for someone else than I do making projects for myself.


DSC_0312

To go along with it I made a simple pouch. I really LOVE this pouch and want to make 100 more! ;)


DSC_0320
the back


DSC_0335
the front


I used Kona ash, and the mosaic is made from some of the scraps from the wall hanging.

DSC_0336
I used a glue stick to hold the pieces down, and then put fray check around all the edges after they were sewn down. I really love how this turned out and think I will use this technique more often!!


DSC_0328
for the lining I used some Half Moon scissors. Yum! :)
It finishes at 9" by 9". 


DSC_0309

the mini finished up at 18.5" x 18.5". Made from all Konas.
I used Kona Chartreuse for the back.
and a purple for the binding... I'll have to look and see what color I used. I can't remember right now.


Thinking about this makes me feel like I'm in a college art class critique session. lol. But I have to say that when I started with this design, and nesting the stars like I did, the thing that I really liked about it, was the negative space that it created.

DSC_0334

the four squares with the weird shapes between them. Those are what stand out to me more than the stars (well, except that the stars are really bold). I wanted to emphasis that design, and thus my decision for quilting inside the negative space only. I don't know if I achieved my emphasis as much as I would have liked, but I'm happy with how it turned out. :)
Thank you for coming. Class is now out of session. lol.


The design on the back didn't turn out quite as cool as I thought it would have, but oh well. it's just the back. :)

DSC_0388

I added hanging corners in all the corners since there really isn't an up on this thing.

I sure hope you like it partner!! I had a swell time making it for you!


Happy Monday everyone! Stay tuned for the start of the Giveaway Week! The first post will be up later today!! For my birthday weekend I decided to take the weekend off from the computer and sewing... so I didn't get anything ready. lol. :) So excited for this though!! :)
giveaway week


Peaceful Life, Sew Many Ways, Party with My Peeps, and Quilt Story's Fabric Tuesday.



Diane

11 comments:

  1. Your pouch is so sweet. I am sure your swap partner will be delighted with the wall hanging, it is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a darling mini quilt! I love the solids and wonky stars and I think the quilting from the back is wonderful.
    Your pouch idea is someone I am going to try next time I make a pouch. Great use of little scraps and a good way for me to practice some straight line quilting too....thanks for the inspiration : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. its awesome! I actually think the way you quilted it made the stars pop more, which I like! It's like they're coming out of the quilt, creating depth. Perhaps quilting in the stars would have made the negative space pop more, who knows... anyways I love it. the pouch is lovely too :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the quilting makes the stars jump out of the background - really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you had an awesome birthday...with lots of food, drink and CAKE!!!
    Love the wall hanging and the pouch! The mosaic effect works really well! =D

    I'm holding a small swap over at my blog if anyone is interested please pop over for a look =D

    http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/anyone-want-to-swap.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane, I love your mini and that pouch rocks! Great idea to use double lines of quilting - love that! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this one, you have done an awesome job on it. The pouch is kind of cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are great colors for the mini! I love how the quilting make the stars pop. It's nice the way you added the hangers. I always forget that until the binding is sewn!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love your mini! The colours are perfect. I was a little sad this did not show up in my mailbox, and I can say that yet, because my swap pkg hasn't arrived yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in to say hi! I always love your comments, they make me smile!

If you have a no-reply account, be sure to leave your email address so I can respond to you.